Tuesday, January 5, 2016

2016

Yikes! Happy Belated New Year!

I'm going to have to think twice about having a week and a half off for the holidays. Well... maybe not. Anyway, I got back to working on Monday. It is now Wednesday and I'm beat. I think it's because I didn't do anything over the break. Now that I've got the brain active again, my body is yelling at me. My brain is laughing and my eyelids just want to close, with my body under a nice warm blankie. It finally got cold in these parts. And yesterday, I saw flurries. Yep, flurries. Snowflakes. At first I thought someone was burning trash or something but nope, snow. It didn't stick but it's feeling more like winter. Too bad it couldn't have happened last month. I'll get over it. All the neighbors are back from their break because the building is a lot louder and there's more movement. Doors slamming. I will deal with it. Thank goodness for earplugs.

I am so glad 2015 is history. I suffered a broken heart and I'm working so that my heart doesn't grow cold and hard because of it. I'm doing loads better, just try not to think about it. My new business has survived. Client numbers increased towards the end of the year. I've learned a lot this first year. I longarmed 76 quilts, 50 of those were business quilts. One was a commissioned piece. I will pick up the first business quilt of the New Year tomorrow. Today, I longarmed two preemie quilts for the guild. Those quilts will go to one of the local hospitals. They seem to need quite a few. I can at least get one done if not two for each month. Tomorrow I will make and attach the binding so I can turn them in on Monday.


I finished another Sashiko piece and I'm working on the last in this series. Then I can go on to the next phase of the whole project.


I started this doll at the beginning of last year and I finally got her head and body stuffed. I also needle sculpted her face (not shown in this pic) and I had to make her new ears because they got lost in my move to my studio.


The one thing I have been doing on the regular for the past five days is writing. Yep. I can say that I've been writing five days in a row. I would like to write five day of the week. Have time to take a break and rearrange the marbles. In my head. I made no resolutions. Don't believe in those. I do have goals for and commitments to myself. And I've got my lists.The 'Go Ahead and Finish The Darn Thing' list isn't as long as I thought it would be. I hope to get one of the three items done this weekend. I've also started making things again. For whatever craft/art fair that might come up, I can be a part of it. My bat ornaments go well, so I started some new ones. Got them sewed up today.

I am resilient. Even when I think the sky will fall and the galaxies will explode, I continue on. I have rewritten my internal dialog. Those crazy things I say to myself when I'm alone. When things don't work out. And I quickly do something creative. It may take a few more weeks to get back in the swing of things and not feel so tired.

Here's to a wild and creatively wonderful year. It's the Year of the Phoenix.

2 comments:

Lillian Ortiz said...

Stumbled upon your blog! don't mind me! Just wanted to tell you that i think it is cool! ;) I would love to see what that doll looks like when it is finished ;D
http://www.theoccupiedoptimist.blogspot.com

Wendy Luane Barber said...

Thanks Lillian.

Day 2- Creative Challenge

Okay then, it snowed all day. I did get out in the afternoon to move snow out of the way but started to come down hard and within an hour or...