Friday, June 19, 2009

Keeping Track

When you have many projects on your plate and the same amount of events happening in your life, it's easy to lose track of what needs to be done and when. Projects that need to be done right away get lost with projects that can be finished over a period of time. I have tried numerous ways to keep abreast of all creative endeavors and I always seem to come up short. Not for lack of time but for what I cannot see. You know, out of sight, out of mind. That one project on a piece of paper buried under a ton of other papers.

I have tried and I'm about ready to get a cork board. I've done the list thing, monthly, weekly and daily. Sometimes the projects get broken down into smaller steps. But once again, sometimes a project gets lost in the paper mound and gets forgotten. Or you think that you're on track and you haven't done the next two steps. What to do? Cork board! Cork boards are not in the poster board expense category. Neither is a personal assistant.

While in my applique class, one of the ladies pulled out a spreadsheet with all her projects on them. And each project was broken up into smaller steps. Every step had a box for checking off when completed. She had a start date and finish date. I stared at her sheets in awe and thought, Oh my gosh! She's got a lot of time on her hands. But then I continued to look at it and she said it worked for her and she gets things done. Hmmm.... I continued to think about it and thought I'd like to give it a try for my gazillion projects. Some that need attention today, others that can be spread out over a year. I could keep track and still hang them on the wall over my art table or computer. I emailed her asking for a blank sheet so that I can at least try it. I'm waiting for her response.

No comments:

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...