Monday, February 22, 2016

Art Show

Last week I delivered my bats and bunners to a local shop, The Fiber Company. Usually when I go downtown, I visit people who are in the general are. A friend who owns a bead shop, Studio 2. Haven't seen her in awhile and we're going to plan a play date. Work with some polymer clay, metallic paint, and make some molds. Then I went to Earthbound Arts and talked to another friend I haven't seen in a month of Sundays and we got a chance to laugh and talk shop. I had fun. They both told me that they enjoyed seeing my posts on Facebook, what I was working on. I was a little shocked because I didn't think anyone was paying attention. It was nice to know that someone was. Now I'm going to have to step up on the creating thing.

That Friday evening I went to my first art opening in, well, I don't know when the last time it was that I went to one. A friend was having I guess her first real art exhibit. I followed her through grad school. She started out in clay and is now doing mixed media using found natural items, paper based clay, and handmade paper. Again, I saw people I hadn't seen since the dawn of time. It was a very nice exhibit and you could actually touch things.





My friend Nicole Uzzell.


This was one huge basket made from local vines. So big, I wanted to put in roving, wool, pillows, grab a blanket, a glass of wine and a book. I could get so comfy in that.


This is a hanging piece that started out as sweatshirts and t-shirts. She cut them up, added clay, paper pulp, and glue. It was wonderful how the light showed through, casting shadows. The pieces moved and when they hit each other it sounded like a wood wood chime. Very cool. It would be great hanging from a tree or porch during Halloween.


Parts of it looked like bone, sinew, and tendons. Yeah, that sounds creepy but this is me you're reading about.


And this one was funny. It actually spun around. Also casting shadows. It was a lovely exhibit and I got a chance to get out of the apartment and studio to recharge my creative batteries. I will make it a point to go to more this year. Being free also helps.

No comments:

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...