Thursday, February 28, 2019

Another One Bites the Dust

I more ways than one. Two years ago I moved back to Michigan. There were many reasons for the move and today I really want to bury them. I do miss the south. I never thought I would say that but I do. Would I move back if I could? In a heartbeat. But that's not going to happen right now. I battled severe depression. Not knowing what I was going to do. Not sure of anything. I kept going, struggling to keep my head above water and I found some work. Last year I got back to doing doll shows. I was able to have my work in a stage production. Travel a bit up north with an old friend and a new one. There were lots of creative stops and starts. Nothing concrete, nothing serious, just going through the motions.

Two years. I keep telling myself that they weren't wasted. That I had to rediscover me again. Figure out what I want to do the rest of whatever number of days I'm given. It's hard. Being nice to me. Figuring out what I want and telling myself that it's okay to go for it. I'm looking for another job. The work that's out there and what I can do don't match up. That is unfortunate and the struggle is real. But I'm in a better place than I was two years ago. I gotta live for me now. Create some kick butt art. Learn how to play an instrument. Sew for me. Make really cool things for me and the people who love me. I'm not done yet. Just heating up.

So today I wrap up February. The first two months of this new year have been quite challenging. But the days are getting longer and spring is coming. I did manage to finish the art challenge 29 Faces. I was determined to do so. Now I've got to put that determination in other creative areas. Cow pies happen. You step in them, they're thrown at you, dumped on your head and you ask the universe, "Really?" But then you can mix those cow pies with mud and make a hut. Paint it with pretty colors and have a garden out front. It's all how you think about things. Here are the rest of my faces.



I will continue to do faces because they are part of a project that I want to do. I will pack up books I'm not using, straighten my work area for projects old and new, draw and paint more, and work on a nice summer wardrobe for me. I started writing down places to go for day trips this spring and summer.

My journey continues.

#29faces

2 comments:

meemaw said...

I love your posts. Your outlook is frank and inspiring, and your writing is honest. Be safe, and keep paddling!

Wendy Luane Barber said...

Thank you Martha. I try not to sound too depressing but it's how I can work through all that I'm going through. Thank you so much for your kind works and encouragement.

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...