Monday, October 26, 2009

Special Event

On Monday of last week I got a call from someone I didn't know. She said that she was the friend of a friend. Her name was Jan, a friend of Susie who had taken a doll making class from me. Susie wanted her to ask me to a lecture and intimate dinner with a few other ladies and the guest speaker. Then she mentioned who the speaker was, and I just about fainted.

Yes fainted. First off, that this person was Faith Ringgold and second, that my friend Susie thought enough about me and my work and that I would get a kick out of meeting this person. I did cry because I felt so blessed for having such a friend and I was so happy because I was going to get a chance to meet one of my heroes.



Faith Ringgold's lecture was fun. She is an amazing author, artist, quilter, doll maker, composer, performance artist and educator. Such a wonderful zest for life and a great sense of humor. What I really liked was when she said, that when people told her she couldn't do anything, she just did it anyway. Her way. And that's how she's always lived her life.

I was truly inspired. If she can do it, I know I can. I also had the opportunity to show her some of my dolls and she loved them. I even gave a mini demo to the ladies on how some of them were made. I had so much fun and was totally in my element. This was what I was suppose to be doing.

I haven't come off the cloud yet. I think I'll stay up there a little longer.

No comments:

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...