Wednesday, December 27, 2017

How Do I Feel?

Remember the scene in Christmas Vacation where Clark got a jelly-of-the-month membership instead of the bonus check he was expecting. It was followed by a tirade of obscenities and copious amounts of booze laden eggnog. Yeah... that's how I'm feeling right now. After working extra hours and having a nice Christmas Day, and figuring out the finances to unexpected events, I thought I'd be able to get out of this year without anymore damage but no. I almost had an accident yesterday because the hose to my windshield wiper fluid was frozen. I couldn't see out of my windshield. I had time sensitive work that needed to be taken care of. People were speeding around and tailgating me and I couldn't see. I zipped into a Tractor Supply parking lot and worked very hard not to start balling my eyes out. They were very nice in there. I called for a tow and it looked like a two hour wait. My day was going downhill fast. One of the nice employees apologized for not having coffee for me while I waited to be picked up. My wait was only an hour but it took just about the rest of the afternoon for my truck to thaw out. Fine. Then I get the bad news that the struts on the truck were about to fail. Really? It's a good thing I didn't drive to see my mother on Christmas Eve. I wouldn't have made it. He told me to steer clear of potholes and avoid the highway until I bring it in to be fixed. I have to go to work today and tomorrow I will take the truck back in.

So I start all over again. Every penny I make will go towards paying off bills. I will still get my passport renewed next month. I've always liked beans and rice. And...

I AM NOT GIVING UP.

It's another setback. More dinosaur dung flung by the universe into my face. Did I cry? You bet. But I got up. Wiped the dung away and put on more battle gear. 2017, you suck. I am claiming 2018. A few more days left of this year, then it's on.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Hi Wendy - That's exactly how I feel about this past year (or more like decade!) and like you I intend to really get a grip of 2018 and move onwards and upwards. I've just re-read the poem 'Invictus' by William Ernest Henley. My "unconquerable soul" is definitely ready for the new year! x

Wendy Luane Barber said...

Hey Allison, 2018 will be wrangled. Onward and upward. Let's do this. I will look for that poem. Happy New Year to you. Cheers!

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...