Monday, March 21, 2011

Wow! It's Finally Spring

Three months into the new year and it has been a roller coaster ride. Just when I thought I was getting back on track, I'm blindsided by something else. I felt like an old Model T car trying to start up but coughs and sputters made it difficult to get going. I could not figure out what was going on or rather, not going right. I'd have good creative days, excellent creative days and then nothing. I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Well, I came up with this.

Old Man Winter just didn't want to let go. What happens when he doesn't want to get the boot? All things are dead. You start to shed old skin, old hair. You start to wake up from a cold season's slumber. You try to emerge from the heaviness of being dormant to becoming alive again. Like a beautiful moth or butterfly, you struggle into a new world. Just like they force their way out of a cocoon, you force your way out of wool, down and knitted pieces. Blankets used for warmth are now tossed aside.

Spring! That's what it was. Winter was holding onto dear life in my brain as spring and everything new was making its way to the fore of my life. During the winter, I hunkered down to stay warm and had to create because bad weather prevented a lot of doing anything else. Now, spring is here. The need to finish old projects is great because new ones are ready to be embraced and birthed. Colors are changing from dark blues, greys, browns to bright yellows, greens, reds, pinks. Colors of being alive again.

For the past couple of weeks, when things weren't going well, I was in the process of waking up. Shaking off hibernation. Breathing in new air, moving muscles and old joints, to be ready for a new season.  I get it now. Out of the old and into the new. Time to really create.

Welcome back spring!

2 comments:

Kim said...

That kept happening to me too- but in a different sort of way. I would get really inspired and moving when it got warm, but we'd get another cold snap and my mood would go in the trash and I would have to drag it back out again. It's almost April now though- I think we have Old Man Winter beat now!!! Hope you have a FLOOD of new ideas and Happy Spring to you Wendy!!!!

Wendy Luane Barber said...

Thanks Kim. Happy spring to you. Unfortunately, I had to turn my heat back on yesterday. Sucks!

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...