Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Catch Up! Catch Up! Catch Up!

Three months into the year. Where is the time going? It's not  just marching on, it's speeding ahead like a bullet train. It feels like I'm being buried by my work. I'm not complaining, I'd rather be busy creating than not but something has been bothering me.

I have so many projects in different stages of being complete. I have a doll commission to do, a doll for a themed show, two doll workshops with kids looming, and two adult doll classes scheduled. That's just doll related things. I won't go into quilting, applique, and sewing for myself. More on that later. I'm still working on me and I am a work in progress. What I do like is how I'm responding to ... well, everything from things that go well, to things that don't, and things that get canceled. I'm not to the point of freaking out but I'm a bit perplexed. Maybe. I don't even know if that's the word I want to use. I do have to still work on patience. Good things come to those who wait. I think that could be changed a bit to 'Good things come to those who plan and take action because great things don't happen overnight.'

I guess what's really bothering me are the many projects that aren't completed. Just when I think I can get to them, something else comes up. My apartment is a mess and my studio, it's also a mess. I've got bodies and parts all over the place. I tried to do one project at a time, finish it before I go to the next project. That was like watching paint peel. Drove me nuts. There was a time, not too far back, when I was finishing things like crazy. What happened? I don't know. Maybe it's because I have so many ideas, that that's why I just keep starting them and not finishing old ones. But those that are languishing are not happy either. They want their whole body together and others have voiced their opinions on wanting to be fully dressed. Maybe I just need to straighten my apartment.

I read a friend's post yesterday and she mentioned how we get stuck because we're always thinking about what might happen in the future instead of living in the moment, now. Then things made sense. Instead of focusing on my projects today, I'm worried about how I'm going to sell them for the rest of the year? Will I make more money this year? Will I get better this year? Will I have the courage to more forward this year and make my life my own? When I should be enjoying the moment at hand and be grateful. I enjoy creating dolls, appliqueing, and writing. Worry gets you nowhere, except to procrastinate more. I'm feeling better now. I even worked on an old project and my applique last night before bed. That felt great. See, I am a work in progress. Learning something new every single day.

Be true to yourself_ "go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry Thoreau

2 comments:

Wendy Lu said...

Wendy!!! I know exactly how you feel. I seem to be taking on more than I can handle...I mean, we only have 24 hours in a day, and 8 of them are spent sleeping! I have to remind myself not to feel like a failure because of all the things I haven't done, and just concentrate on what I am focusing on right now. And one by one, I am able to finish my assignments. It's also important to pat ourselves on the back after we accomplish something, however little, so we are motivated to keep going!

You can do it! :) I saw your more recent posts and your projects look AWESOME!

~Wendy Lu

The Red Angel Blog

Wendy Luane Barber said...

You are right about taking time to pat ourselves on the back. I have to keep reminding myself about that. I have also felt like a failure for not doing... everything I want to do but that is changing. I love being a work-in-progress. I've done so much in the first 3 months of this year that it's amazing.

Have a wonderful day and semester Red Angel.

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...