Monday, March 5, 2012

What Month Is It?

Jeepers! It's finally here. Another month has gone the way of the Dodo. Part of me wants to say it sucked, February that is, because I didn't get done what I wanted to get done.  Then I smack myself once I realized that February was a rocking month.

Accomplishments- I got all of my dolls made for the Loved Through the Years: Three Centuries of Black Dolls exhibit. They look great, the show has been well received, I was interviewed on the radio, and got into the paper again. How often does that happen? I talked about dolls and my creative process to a group of 5th graders, I got invited to  my first art show (where I'll be in a booth selling my work) of the year, I've scheduled several doll classes and a doll camp and I managed to finish reading one book. I wanted to read two for the month but I'm happy with finally reading and finishing one. I even heard my name mentioned again on the radio, advertising the exhibit at Delta Arts Center again.

I know, I know, I'm so hard on myself. Did I not get a lot done this month? I'm surprised my head hasn't exploded. Yet, I want to beat myself up because I didn't get more done. What a silly. I only got nine dolls finished last month. I was working towards thirteen but there's always this month. I like the number 13. One and three. I really like it when Friday falls on the 13th. I tease my mom a lot when her birthday falls on a Friday. Yes, I am like that. She gets a serious card and a hilarious one. Got to keep her guessing.

Back to February. It was creative, fruitful, and challenging. I have to remember to cut myself some slack. Have a cup of tea and be nice to me. I worked it last month. Now for March. I tell you, time waits for no one and I really want to start enjoying my time more. Being with friends, going on hikes, weekend traveling... me time. I have started to schedule some doll making classes and doll camps for the summer for kids. That should be fun. More shows too. There are also the shops I have to restock. So a lot more planning is in order and I will remember to have fun. Because life is too short not to stop and smell something sweet.


2 comments:

Kim said...

I think you are too hard on yourself because you get tons done and think of all the folks out there going to work and coming home to sit on their butt and watch tv! I am in this same kind of mindset right now- I am trying to like myself how I am and schedule more time for myself and the things I enjoy. I hope you are keeping at being nicer to yourself Wendy- you are one of the most fantastic people I know and you deserve it!

Wendy Luane Barber said...

Thank you Kim, you are so wonderful. I still have to work on being nice to me. That sounds kind of bad that I have to find time to do so. I am getting better at not caring about what other people think I should be doing.

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...