Thursday, May 10, 2012

Richmond, VA

On my way to the Quinlan Doll & Teddy Bear Convention, I stopped for an overnight stay at my friend Annie's. So much better than driving straight through from North Carolina. She and her husband Mark to me to the Canal section of town where there's a walkway.



The canals were used in transport a long time ago but now aid in flooding. Richmond had been flooded many times. The worst in the 1771, then again with a couple of recent hurricanes. The one I can remember is Agnes. There is now a very tall flood wall with gates in case it gets that bad again.



The week before I got there, they had a huge art fair. These murals went up all over the city by different artists in a 48 hour period of time. They did some amazing murals.



This is the long causeway where artists set up their booths. Annie said it was packed.


Chair art.


This was very cool. Half bodies sticking out of the bulls eye.



Love the catfish in this one.


That's me standing in front of this one. I love the saying on it. "James, is that you I smell?" I don't know, I thought it was funny.


A folk art type mural.


This bird was awesome. Almost Steampunk like.


A closeup.


This is art someone did in a drainpipe of a building. Pretty cool.


There is also a large park along the walk where they have concerts. This sculpture represents the industrial boom in the early 1900s.

  Here's an old warehouse that is being renovated, probably for condos.



As you can see from the front, it was a R J Reynolds Tobacco Company building. I would love to see what's inside. There's more to come.

No comments:

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...