Monday, August 27, 2018

Found a Treasure

I'm still working on clearing out my stuff from my mother's place. While doing so this past weekend, I found this doll. At first I thought about selling her but then I realized her provenance. I'd made her over 10 years ago during a workshop at Arrowmont School for Arts & Crafts. The teacher was renown doll artist Akira Blount. Akira passed away several years ago. It was a week long workshop and I learned a lot from her. And I had been making dolls for about 15 years then. The one important thing is how to give a doll a layered look in clothing without actually making each individual piece. I've carried that with me from then on.  Looking at the doll, you can see layers of clothing but she doesn't have them. Her shirt is her body.  I couldn't afford one of her pieces but I could afford that class. She was such a kind and giving person.




She had us come up with our own profile pattern, even though we followed her design. She wanted to make sure we got the full affect of creating our own doll from start to finish.  Her face is needle sculpted and then painted. So I will keep this doll because of her connection to Akira Blount.

Thank you Akira for your time, experience, and laughter. I will miss you always.

No comments:

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...