Sunday, March 13, 2016

Time Change

I am so dragging. I so dislike the time change. It really sucks. I'm all out-of-sorts and there's so much to do. And my laptop is doing weird things, so I can't even watch Netflix. Seriously? I will plan out my week and it will be a doozy. Right now I don't want to think about it.

Yesterday I went to my first writer's talk. Chris Roerden who wrote Don't Murder Your Mystery and Don't Sabotage Your Submission spoke about showing vs. telling in your writing. I did learn a bit. I learned about creative non-fiction, which is to take a real life event and weave a story around it. I had no idea but I found out that I was reading a story like that. The main character was Flannery O'Connor, an actual writer, who left New York to move back home to Georgia when she got sick. That was the real life event and the author, Ann Napolitano wove a story around it. A fictional story. Interesting. I hadn't seen Chris in years and she remembered me. I used to belong to the same writer organization she belongs to and we would meet up for open mic night. I was able to talk to her and tell her what I was up to and she enjoyed hearing about my writing. She said that I was ahead of so many others because I was printing my stories off and ready for rewrites. I do have her first book and will go back and read it, now that I'm at the point in my stories. Which I can't believe. Rough drafts are done. Time to do the hard work of figuring out if they make sense to others. I will also start going to more events like this because I need to be around others who are also working on their writing and be able to speak to those who have been published traditionally or self published. Plus, most of the events are free or have a small fee.

So I don't need my laptop acting up right now.

I've got a new quilt top from a repeat client coming in tomorrow. This week I also have to think of what I'm going to do for my quilt guild's show that's coming up in May. Yep, nothing like waiting until the last minute to do something. At least it will be a wall hanging and not a king size quilt. There will also be a painting of doll parts. And more bear sketches. Where did the day go?

2 comments:

Steven W. Dunn said...

Hi Girlfriend!
I do not like the time changing either!! Let's just pick one and stay with it. My body clock gets all out of rhythm and takes about a week to reset.

I really like your sketches of bears and enjoy watching the progress of your projects. You are so creative and I admire your tenacity.
Steven

Wendy Luane Barber said...

Yes, I had to leave the studio early because I needed a nap. I'm hoping by tomorrow I will be back in form.

Thanks about my sketches. I hope the tenacity starts paying off soon.

Miss you,
Wendy

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...