Monday, May 30, 2011

The Reader- in progress

It's hot! But I was able to continue work on The Reader. I had her armature done, so I guess I'll show that pic. This is another version of a stump doll.

Her skirt form is a floral styrofoam cone. Heavy floral wire forms her torso arms, and neck.

I marked lines to figure out how long her arms should be. I had to remember that hands are going to be attached on the ends of the wire.

I forgot to take a pic of the felt around the cone. It's now ready to be wet felted. This is my fourth time wet felting. Twice have been short of disastrous, so I was keeping my fingers crossed. This was the first time wet felting over a support. I got directions from Marie Spaulding at Living Felt. After putting and lightly needle felting wool onto the cone, I placed tulle over the cone and then a stocking. Then the felting began. Soap, hot, agitate, cold, hot, agitate some more, cold rinse, hot, cold again, and a little squeeze. I truly didn't know what to expect. If it was a massive fail, I could cover the cone with fabric. As I held my breath, I took off the stocking and was quite pleased. I wasn't ready to get excited just yet. Then I took off the tulle and just about cried like a baby. It had worked. It feels soooooo good when something works.

As you can see, it came out quite well. I'm so tickled and I will most definitely try wet felting again. Now I have to let this dry and work on her head. 


No comments:


For once I'm ahead of schedule with something. The March front page for my Bullet Journal. Yeah, I had to put bats in. More downsiz...