Monday, July 30, 2012

In Progress

Working on getting out of this funk and back into the creative saddle. It's hard when you've had the rug pulled from under you several times in a row. You start to question and doubt things. But you get up, dust yourself off and keep going. Last week wasn't very productive because I was in that pity pool. Then I got sick over the weekend. I did manage to work on a few things.


Here's another Moli Doll in progress. She's screaming for a sweater and I've started two that haven't turned out. I guess I'll try again because she's not budging.


These are sunflowers for my Bless This House quilt. When I'm feeling low, I applique. The repetitiveness of the stitching calms and soothes me. I know that sounds weird but it does seem to help me get back into creative mode.

Another thing I've discovered about me and maybe other art types out there, is that I think too much. Coming up with an idea is one thing. Then there's prep thinking, which is okay too. But then you go into overdrive and start thinking about what might happen and you end up not doing anything. Or you start something only to look at it midway and say it stinks, when you haven't even finished the darn thing. How do you know it's not going to work if you don't finish it? At least when it's done, you can say what went wrong and where you can improve with the next one. But to not finish and then get mad at yourself because you started to think is a horrible thing.

Today, I'm not thinking. I'm just doing. I got up this morning with that in mind and right after breakfast I took these pics. Now I'm writing this piece on my blog. I will pick up a project and get going. No thinking until tonight.

2 comments:

Salem Stitcher said...

I'm catching up on blogs. Between being out of town and getting ready for a show and some other things in the works, I have been off the grid.

We seem to be in similar places right now. Some things are working. Some are not. Living the dream isn't as free and easy as it looks on the outside. It's gut-wrenching and it's hard to listen to that little voice but do...keep trying.

Wendy Luane Barber said...

You're right Salem Stitcher about the dream being gut-wrenching. But when nothing else moves you like creating does, you just have to keep trying. Glad to know I'm not alone on my journey.

Whoa!

 Okay, wow, geesh!  This year, this crazy year is going by so fast. A lot of stuff have been happening and I'm treading water. I'm h...